Canadian Dairy Commission
Symbol of the Government of Canada

Frequently Asked Questions

  1. I'm starting out in the dairy processing business. How should I proceed?

    - To make a processed food, you must first register with the Canadian Food Inspection Agency by contacting your local CFIA office.
    - To make a processed food using milk, you must also contact your provincial dairy marketing board about obtaining the milk.
    - If you manufacture a processed food which contains milk, you may also be eligible for the Special Milk Class Permit Program and the Dairy Innovation Program.
    - For general information about starting up a business, the Canada Business Network Web site is also a useful reference.

  2. Where can I find information on Canadian import, export and interprovincial requirements for dairy products?

    This information and many useful links can be found on the Canadian Food Inspection Agency's dairy products Web page.

  3. Where can I find news about special classes?

    For issues affecting the dairy ingredient industry and articles contributed by various members of the industry, please see Ingredients Mag Express and The Expert's Forum.

  4. How do I apply for a special milk class permit to take advantage of reduced prices on specific dairy products?

    You'll find contact information and details on the Special Milk Class Permit Program by visiting the MILKingredients Web site.

  5. I am a Canadian or non-Canadian living abroad and I would like to import Canadian dairy products. Who can I contact?

    You can contact Canadian traders directly, but keep in mind that Canadian dairy product exports are limited by WTO rules. 

  6. How do I order a free copy of the Canadian Dairy Commission's Annual Report?

    Contact us by phone: (613) 792-2000 from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday to Friday, or by e-mail: (indicating your name and complete mailing address).

  7. I am looking for donations, funds or sponsorship for my organization. Who should I contact?

    The CDC has no budget for donations, fund raising activities or sponsorship of any kind. Nor does it have any promotional material (kits, posters, etc.). Please contact Dairy Farmers of Canada or your provincial milk marketing board. 

  8. What are the support prices for butter and skim milk powder established by the Canadian Dairy Commission?

    Visit our page on the establishment of support prices for background information and recent support prices. 

  9. I am looking for a manufacturer of a specific dairy product. Where can I find this information?

    Visit the INFOcentre of the MILKingredients Web site for a complete listing of manufacturers and their products, organized by province. 

  10. How can I obtain milk quota?

    Milk quotas are managed by the provincial milk boards and agencies. For a complete contact list of these groups, see our provincial contact list.

  11. How can I found out more about the Import for Re-export Program as it applies to dairy products?

    The Import for Re-export Program is managed by Global Affairs Canada. Details on the Import and Export Permit Act, contact information, and application forms can be found on their Web site.

  12. Where can I get Canadian and international dairy statistics?

    The Canadian Dairy Information Centre is an excellent online resource for dairy statistics prepared by Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada in collaboration with the Canadian Dairy Commission and Dairy Farmers of Canada.

  13. I would like some information regarding fluid milk (used for table milk and cream).

    Please contact your provincial milk board or agency for information regarding fluid milk. 

  14. What regulations govern dairy products in Canada?

    The Dairy Products Regulations are regulations which detail the standards of the Canadian dairy industry in regard to import, export and domestic trade, classification, registration numbers. Health and safety standards for the products are outlined, whether they are for international or domestic trading, including detailed sections on packaging and sterilization.

    The Dairy Products Marketing Regulations provide federal jurisdiction over the marketing of industrial milk and dairy products as well as the necessary coordination between federal and provincial jurisdictions.

    A list of links to provincial dairy regulations can also be found on the Canadian Dairy Information Centre Web site.

  15. How can I find out more about the labelling of dairy products?

    You can consult the Guide to Food Labelling and Advertising  on the Canadian Food Inspection Agency's website.

  16. What are the guidelines on the use of the "100% Canadian Milk" claim on product labels?

    You can find this information  on the CFIA's Web site.

  17. Where can I find information about the regulations amending the composition of cheese in Canada?

    You can find this information on the Web site of the Canada Gazette.

  18. Where can I find information on the production of goat's milk in Canada?

    The Canadian Dairy Commission's mandate and activities relate to cow's milk only but you can find useful information on the Web site of the Canadian Dairy Information Centre in a study entitled Canadian Dairy Goat. You will also find links to the Web sites of dairy goat and sheep associations on the links page of the CDIC Web site.